Tuesday, September 9, 2008

We're getting a little creepy around my house







My daughter just started first grade and they suggest that each kid do a yearlong school project on anything they want and then present it to the class at the end of the year. My daughter decided to study bats. She has plenty of time, over 8 months to be exact, but she wants to do everything now. She's excited. I think this is on the heels of Batfest. We checked that it. It was really just "vendors on a bridge", that's what they shoud call it. That's all any of our festivals are any more. some port a pottys, a couple of mediocre bands, some vendors and some crafts.  Boom, you have a festival.
Anyway, to get her excited about this project, I purchased a bat house, which we are going to hang in our backyard. Did you know a bat colony can eat 600 mosquito's in an hour!  I also bought her a taxidermic bat. The kids in the class when really get a kick out of this and my daughter will love showing this off. I've attached the pics of both the house and bat we bought.

1 comment:

Denise said...

I LOVE the bat!! I so need one of those for my son. He saw a dead bat in our backyard in April and comes inside and says, "There's a dead bat in the backyard and it feels weird!" Well, 16 rabies shots later, he knows better than to touch one now. Now he won't even touch a dead rolly-polly!! We could have some fun with a stuffed one. I will be looking for one of those!!