Monday, July 28, 2008

Everyday Zen

Just finished a book called Everyday Zen by Charlotte Joko Beck. This is an older book 1989 (at least old on westerners looking for enlightenment standards) but it's a must read for any westerner looking for Eastern Enlightenment. I put the book down for quite awhile when the author suggests that enlightenment is too difficult for most to achieve, it's a lot harder than anyone knows, very few achieve it so she suggests picking up a new hobby instead. Can you believe that?
Anyway, by the end of the book I loved it. There are some great stories which will give you some "ah hah" moments as things apply to your life. You sort of leave on a high note that to best path to happiness is helping others. It's really trying to say "get over yourself!"

This is a good book to read if you if you have found that most Eastern religion just doesn't apply to our Western/American culture. I have read some of the other books that suggest going on a journeys into the mountains for enlightenment, blah, blah, blah. I just can't take off in the Tibet mountains when contractually have to be at work from 6-10am at the very least. I have joked for sometime that there needs to be what I call "Sea level enlightenment". Do we really have to take off for the mountains in strappy sandals and a small bag of berries for survival? I'm not really into talking to burning bushes, I much prefer people.

If you're a chronic worrier, you will find this book helpful.
This just might be that book I was looking for.... you might be too. Couldn't find it locally, so I would suggest Amazon.

No comments: