Tuesday, August 7, 2007

You know how you know I'm gay?

Two reasons. Yesterday I took three pair of jeans to the alterations place. A year ago I would have told you that you were insane if you were a guy and getting jeans altered. Jeans are high fashion now and I've fallen into the trap. I went jeans shopping with my wife and she made it sound so simple and matter of fact that this is what you do with a new pair of jeans. They are still at the alterations store. I get them tomorrow. As if they weren't expensive enough, I am going to add another 20-25 dollars to have them hemmed. I miss the "off the rack" days. Can we please go back? Once you bite the bullet on one fancy pair of jeans there's no turning back. If you are a guy and you don't own any high end jeans, don't do it. Don't get them. Honestly, once you have one pair you have to have 10 so people don't notice that you are wearing the same pair of fancy jeans over and over. This world sucks.

The other reason you know I'm gay is because I have started paying attention to song lyrics. Lately, if I hear a melody that draws me in I want to know what the song is all about. Why did I start doing this? I am currently trying to figure out this song by The Shins. Please respond if you can figure out what the heck it means. I love the flow of the song and it's currently one of my favorite songs. I just don't know what the heck it means. Please help. Also, buy the song and/or cd. So worth it.

"Red Rabbits"

Hurled to the center of the Earth again,
The place where it's hot, love,
You know, it hurts to breathe in,
And the watershed you balance on is begging it,
Well did he ever know,
Will he ever know?

The trees in the moonshine are a dark lattice,
So you catalog in the angle you notice,
In a vacuum you recharge to record this,
So you won't make it easy on me.

And I can't go into this no more,
It puts too many thorns on my mind,
And the necessary balloon lies a corpse on the floor,
We've pissed on far too many sprites,
And they're all standing up for their rights.

Born on a desert floor, you've the deepest thirst,
And you came to my sweet shore to indulge it,
With the wan and dreaming eyes of an orphan,
But there is not enough,
There is not enough.

Out of a gunnysack for red rabbits,
Into the crucible to be rendered an emulsion,
And we can't allow a chance they'd restore themselves,
So we can't make it easy on you.

Undaunted, you bathed in hollow cries,
The boils were swollen, sunburned eyes,
A reward for letting nothing under their skin,
So help me, I don't know, I might,
Just give the old dark side a try.

Don't cast your warring eyes on the shore,
Did we even the score?
I still owe you for the hole in the floor,
And the ghost in the hall,
Who decides who paddles over the falls?
Yeah, who makes the call,
Who makes the call?

Well, I know there's an eventual
Release from every scale of crime,
But the necessary balloon lies a corpse on the floor,
We've pissed on far too many good intentions held by clever sprites,
And they're all standing up for their rights.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Okay, I took that as a challenge and I had to try and find out what this song could be about (i'm a chic so I've been trying to find out what songs mean since high school). From what I can gather, its possibly about throwing away something good and regretting it. Here is something I found from a lyrics website that mentioned this song. This may shed some light or add to the confusion.


Haunting and Moving.... | Reviewer: Gigirenee
------ About the song Red Rabbits performed by The Shins

On the sweet sorrow of the end of a dream shared with another. I have lived this song...every word a metaphor for the demise of something I had so true and "pissed on" so many many times.