Saturday, May 26, 2007

Writing starts to "happen"

I have exciting news. At least it's exciting to me. My third issue in a row will be published in Austin Monthly Home in the summer issue. If you are not a subscriber, get your order in now! In this issue I talk about hanging out and finding peace in my vintage Airstream. Thanks so much to Jennifer and everyone at Austin Monthly who have been much to kind to a hack writer. I appreciate them, especially for being the first to give me an opportunity like this.

June is going to be a big month. I will also have an article coming out in RARE Magazine.
Rare is a very cool magazine that I took a particular interest in long before I ever met anyone there. Matt was kind and trusting enough to give me an opportunity to try my hand at writing something compelling for this very cool magazine. You will love the layout and the vibe of Rare. Very, very hip. I share the story of the ongoing transformation of mens fashion. It's very tough to be a straight guy and dress hip without being over the top or feeling gay... not that there's anything wrong with that. :) I'm expecting a very cool photo with this article from their photog Dustin. Awesome guy with some killer vision. Should be out any day.

And then another totally fell into my lap. I got an email from Kim at Parent Wise Magazine a few weeks ago. She had seen my writing in Austin Monthly Home and asked me to write something fatherhood related for the June issue. I chose to write about a small memory of spending time with my father which will hopefully enlighten dads that it's the very small things and time that matter.

What a great month tackling something I truly enjoy. It's very intimidating, but I appreciate those who are helping me and lending their advice. Writing feels so permanent and that's scary. With radio, there is so much and it's all disposable and no one has a record of it, unless you chose. Anyone can chose to read, reread and criticize an article and hang onto it as long as they like. Very intimidating.

No comments: